In the next two lessons we'll be discussion about the options that are available to our "mobile" (or more like mobile phone carrying) users. There are basically two very helpful options that a mobile user can use:
1. EC500 and
2. XMOBILE stations
In this part of the course we'll be covering the EC500 portions and then we will be discussing about XMOBILE.
So, let's discuss EC500. EC500 is a option that allows a user to move a call between his mobile phone and his office phone.
I'll try to make this as simple as possible and then we will discuss about how to set it up.
EC500 will extend the call to a mobile number that the admin will define in the system. So what will happen when a call will ring the station? Well, the call arrives on line1 of that particular phone. The phone at that point will open a second line and call your cell phone. When you answer your office phone will merge the two lines and keep the call active. The advantage is that when you receive the call on the cell and start talking your office phone still holds the conversation so when you are back at the office just press the line button on your phone and you can speak on the office phone now seamless.
Also, when you want to leave your office and you have a call on your office phone, just press the EC500 button, receive the call on your cell (once you press the ec500 button your cell will ring) and you can hang up the office phone. The call will still be active but now it's active and "merged" on your cell phone.
In terms of setup and requrements:
1. The station (can be a physical phone but also a virtual station works - like a phantom) need at least 2 call appearances. If you remember the call-appearances are lines that we add for our station. We need 2 at lease so the station can keep the active call on one line and also make the call on the second line.
2. The station needs to be in Class of Service that will allow it to do a trunk-to-trunk transfer override. Read the articled on COS if you need more info.
3. The station needs these two buttons configured:
- extend call : If you press this button when on a call, your office phone will call your cell and merge the two lines once you pick up the cell. The caller is not aware of what you're doing (there is no music on hold, no pause, nothing, the call just jumps between the office phone and the cell once you pickup or hang up the cell phone). (btw, make sure you don't have exclusion enabled on that station as well otherwise this won't work).
- ec500 : It's a on/off button. If it's on (you'll see it red on the phone if active when you press the forward button or try to see the phone option buttons) then every call that gets to the phone will get automatically extended to your cell as well. (aka your cell will ring everytime you get a call on your office phone).
4. OFF-PBX Config Set. You have to define a config set for it. We will discuss more on how to define on the setup article. However, one of the most important settings here and most missunderstood is called Confirmed Answer. I get a lot of questions on this option at my work place. If you set this to yes then your users will have to confirm that they picked up the call by pressign a number key on the cell phone once they answer the cell. You might ask yourself why that is. Well, the CM does not know if it's you that picked the call or the voicemail that's configured on your cell phone. So if the CM tries to extend the call to your cell but you're not in the coverage area and your cell phone voicemail picks up the call, the CM won't extend the call to the cell but rather will follow the active coverage path of the station. This way we're making sure that the office voicemails are not split between the office voicemail and the cell voicemail systems.
5. OFF-PBX Telephone integration. This is where you specify the link between the station number and the cell number.
6. EC500 licences 🙂 - what you thought this is going to be free ? 🙂
So, in the next article will discuss how to setup EC500 in a step by step tutorial.
good the post. But i know, have more methods for make the call without use EC500.